11 Best Ways to Stay on Track during the Holidays
The festivities of the holiday season can derail even the most diligent dieter’s healthy eating efforts, sabotaging your Orlando weight loss goals. At Svelte, while we believe you can enjoy the holiday season and indulge a bit in some of your favorite treats, we also know the importance of having a plan in place to ensure you don’t go overboard and get completely off track.
Here are 11 ways you can stay on track with your healthy lifestyle goals this holiday season:
- Keep Exercising – It’s especially important to make exercise a priority during the holidays, as it will help burn off any extra calories and fats that are consumed.
- Eat Small, Frequent Meals – Eating small, frequent meals throughout the day is a great way to keep hunger at bay and avoid overeating when you’re out shopping or at an event.
- Limit Sugary Foods – Be smart about how often you consume sugary foods, as they’ll make you crave even more sugary foods, a downward spiral you want to avoid.
- Stock up on Healthy Foods – Have healthy snacks available to quickly grab and bring with you when heading out. Going to be spending a day shopping? Munch on these snacks when you get hungry, rather than get stuck eating unhealthy food court fare.
- Limit Alcohol Intake – While it’s perfectly fine to enjoy a cocktail now and then, be aware of how much you consume, as the empty calories add up quickly.
- You Don’t Need to Finish Everything – Eat until you feel satisfied. If this means leaving some food on your plate, that’s totally fine.
- Eat Balanced Meals – Eat meals made up of a mix of protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats. And eat fresh fruits and vegetables as much as possible.
- Don’t Give Into Pressure – While it’s easy to give into pressure from those around us to “try this” or “have more”, be strong; stick to what’s best for you and eat what you want.
- Don’t Attend a Big Event on an Empty Stomach – Have a healthy snack prior to attending an event to hold you over. This will help you avoid eating everything around you due to hunger pangs.
- Cook With Healthy Ingredients – Substitute not-so-healthy ingredients with healthier ones, where possible, when baking and cooking.
- Enjoy Small Portions of Your Favorites – Instead of completely depriving yourself, treat yourself to small amounts of some of your favorite foods or desserts. This way you’ll enjoy them without guilt.