All About Superfoods
“Superfood”, you can’t take a trip to the grocery store without seeing this term written somewhere. We see it on fruits, vegetables, grains and more, but what does it really mean? Due to the nature of the items this term is most often stamped on, we can safely assume it means “healthy” in some way.
Well to be exact, superfoods are those that are so densely rich in nutrients that they promote overall well-being in the body along with aiding the systems of the body to function efficiently. Superfoods are also known to cure and prevent degenerative diseases, fight cancer and reverse diabetes.
What’s Makes Them So Good?
- Antioxidants: Known for protecting your body from free radicals that can cause cell mutation leading to cancer and other life threatening diseases. Regular intake of antioxidant rich foods can not only protect cells but it can repair them. Many fruits such as blueberries and raspberries contain levels of antioxidants. However, acai and maqui berries contain 65 times the normal amount, making them superfoods.
- Vitamins and minerals: There is an infinite list of foods that contain vitamins and minerals. The difference of superfoods lies in the amount. Many superfoods have vitamin and mineral levels that are many times higher than what is found in standard foods. This helps to boost your immune system and to maintain healthy growth in the body.
- Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s): Contrary to popular belief, the body actually needs good fats to balance metabolism and optimize fat burning. Many superfoods are dense in omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids which is key in building a healthy immune system and having a healthy heart. You can find omega in superfoods such as flax, and chia.
- Rare, but vital, nutrients: Many superfoods are rich in nutrients that are hard to find. Unless you’re a vegan, you probably are unaware of how difficult it can be to work B12 into your diet without eating animal products. This vitamin is crucial in keeping the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy properly functioning. It has been proven that a substantial amount of B12 can be found in spirulina, a plant based superfood. Along with B12, spirulina will also provide you with 300% more calcium than cow’s milk and more iron than what is normally found in meat products.
10 Superfoods to Add to Your Shopping List:
- Edamame: 17 grams of protein per cup
- Kiwi: 84 milligrams of vitamin C in one large kiwi
- Lentils: rich in resistant starch (great for fat burning)
- Quinoa: a complete protein with all essential amino acids
- Wild salmon: omega 3 fatty acids helps your body burn fat
- Artichoke: filled with magnesium which gives you energy
- Egg: yolk is full of choline which is essential to memory
- Cauliflower: cancer preventative, lowers cholesterol
- Pumpkin: more than 20% of your DRI of fiber
- Kale: excellent source of vitamins A, C and K
There are natural methods to soothe every type of health issue, from dermal problems, to diseases, to losing weight. All it takes is the right foods. If you are looking for a sure weight loss solution, reach out to Svelte Medical Weight Loss today. We will help you find the right dietary plan to get you on your way to meeting your weight loss goals.