- 3 lb. orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (3 large or 4 medium sweet potatoes, often called yams in U.S. stores)
- 2 T Olive oil
- Non-stick spray for Crockpot
- 2 tsp. sweet potato spice mix (see below)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste (I used a sea salt grinder)
- Sweet Potato Spice Mix (grind herbs together with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, then mix in salt)
- 2 T ground coriander
- 1 T ground fennel
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 T Aleppo Pepper (or use a smaller amount of cayenne pepper)
- 2 T kosher salt
Peel sweet potatoes and cut into pieces about 1 inch square. Put sweet potatoes into plastic Ziploc bag, add 2 T olive oil, and 2 tsp. spice mix, seal bag and squeeze potatoes around until they’re all coated with oil and spice mix is well-distributed.
Spray inside of Crockpot slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil. (I used a 3.5 quart Crockpot for this recipe.) Put sweet potatoes in Crockpot and cook on high, stirring a couple of times so they don’t stick or get too browned on the bottom.
Sweet potatoes are done when they are completely softened and fragrant, about 3 hours. Mash slightly if desired, and season to taste with fresh ground black pepper and sea salt. Serve hot.
Make Ahead Tips: Sweet potatoes can be cut and mixed with olive oil and seasoning earlier in the day. Cooked sweet potatoes can be kept in the Crockpot on low or warm for a few hours if needed.