If you’ve just started your college career, you’ve probably already heard about the dreaded “Freshman 15”. Maintain a healthy weight in Orlando and fight the freshman 15 (or 5 or 10) with Svelte by following these simple tips for keeping your weight in check throughout your college years – and beyond!
- Don’t Skip Breakfast – While it’s easy to skip, it’s important to put in the time and effort to start your day with a nutritious breakfast. A breakfast with a good balance of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs will give your body the nutrients and energy it needs to get through the day.
- Eat Small and Frequent Meals – Eating small, regular meals throughout the day keeps your blood sugar level stable so you won’t feel the need to have a “pick-me-up” snack, like a pastry or other unhealthy treat, in between meals.
- Avoid Alcohol or Limit Your Intake – At Svelte, we recommend avoiding alcohol for a truly healthy diet and lifestyle. But if you decide to have a drink now and then, it’s helpful to be mindful of the type of alcohol you consume, as well as the quantity. Light beers have fewer calories than many cocktails. And eating a protein with your drink can help avoid alcohol-induced hunger.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Drinking water before each meal can curb your appetite, making you less likely to overindulge and take in too many extra calories. Plus, drinking enough water is critical for staying properly hydrated and keeping our bodies functioning at their optimal level.
- Make Smart Food Choices – Cafeterias have both healthy and not so healthy options. Most of the time, select vegetables and lean proteins, reserving meals drenched in heavy sauces and fried foods for infrequent indulgences.
- Be Active – Offset all the sedentary time spent in class and at the library with some activity. Develop (and stick to) a regular gym routine, join a running or walking club (or start one!), and walk whenever you have the option, instead of driving or taking public transportation.
Contact Svelte Weight Loss Center today to learn more about how you can avoid gaining unwanted pounds during your college career, or if you need help with weight loss in Orlando. We are available online, or you can call us at 407-804-5200.