Dining Out: 5 Tips for Healthy Eating
While we all know home cooked meals are the best way to control what we eat, we can’t (and shouldn’t) completely avoid dining out. At Svelte, our Orlando weight loss clinic wants to encourage you to be in control of your health and meet your weight loss goals. Here are five ways you can do so when eating out.
1) Be Selective With Your Restaurant Choice: If you’re able to, select a place with some healthier menu options, such as a steakhouse or seafood restaurant. This way you won’t be as tempted to order something you’ll regret eating later on.
2) Review the Menu: With most restaurants having their menus on their websites, it makes it extremely convenient to review the menu before you even arrive at the restaurant. By deciding what you’re going to order in advance, you’ll save yourself the trouble of identifying the best selection while at the restaurant.
3) Ask for Modifications: Don’t hesitate to ask your server for modifications to a menu item, or ask for a suggestion based on your dietary needs. This is common practice nowadays and good restaurants will be happy to accommodate you as best they can.
4) Keep the Carbs to a Minimum: Pastas, rice, and other starchy foods, especially when eaten at a restaurant, can weigh you down and quickly derail your healthy eating efforts. Select a protein as the main course with a vegetable item to accompany it. If you desire a carb, order it as a side instead of the primary dish.
5) Control Your Portion Size: Restaurant portion sizes are frequently much larger than one serving. To avoid overeating, ask your server for a “to go” container when you order and put half of your meal into it before you take your first bite.
These tips will help keep you on track whenever you eat out. If you’re looking for more support in achieving a healthy lifestyle, contact Svelte, Orlando’s weight loss clinic at (407) 804-5200 or you can contact us online. Our knowledgeable and trained staff is passionate about helping you meet your goals.